"More cash for more happiness! :)"
Part of my quarter life crisis involves thoughts on consumerism.
The Crisis (capital ‘C’) started back in 2 or 3 years ago; but the thought of consumerism didn’t hit me until end of 2014 when I was working in a European company.
Background check: I have a very small, very narrow social circle, mostly people of or around my age and perhaps share the same social class as I do i.e. middle class hence the late realisation.
The spending habit of my colleagues is appalling to me:
- Pandora bracelet that don’t look good on her wrist. I’m sorry for being blunt.
- Apple fandom
- Brand names rolling out of their tongue like native language
- Drive big expensive foreign car
- Owning a few big expensive foreign cars under their names
- Talking about buying houses like buying peanut butter jam wtf
- why do I want to buy this?
- what is it good for?
- are there alternatives? DIY, maybe? find a second use for things laying in the house?
The whole event made me realise that what we humans are suckers for endorphins. We are all in this mighty race where the prize is happiness high. This is a race on a hamster wheel – no beginning, no ending. Unless we fall out of it
(or the wheel breaks lol), there is no other escape.